Status: version to be signed in January 2008
The CHARA, ISI, MRO, NPOI, PTI, NOAO. Hereafter referred to as “the parties”.
Definition of the “United States Interferometry Consortium”
USIC has as primary mission to:
1. Clarify and improve on the role of optical interferometry in the next Decadal Survey.
USIC has as secondary mission to:
2. Work with other organizations and institutions to develop funding opportunities to provide open access to the US optical interferometry observatories;
3. Define a role for current interferometers in the process of developing the next generation interferometer;
4. Collaboration on technical and scientific aspects to support the US based optical interferometers.
Article 3 – Governance of USIC
USIC shall be governed by a Board composed of the parties who have signed this Charter.
Article 4 – Membership of USIC
USIC is open to all interested parties who have agreed to this Charter.
Article 5 – Membership of the Board
The Board shall be formed by
1. Up to two representatives for each party;
2. Up to two representatives of organizations or institutions which contribute to the mission of the platform;
3. Any other person being nominated unanimously by the Board.
Article 6 – Responsibilities of the Board
The responsibilities of the Board will be:
1. To define the general goals and strategy of USIC activities;
2. To initiate activities consistent with the mission statements;
3. To monitor long-term progress within these activities.
Article 7 – Chair of the Board
The Board shall select a chair through a process that obeys the following rules:
1. The chair is elected among the Board voting members;
2. The chair is elected for a duration of 1 years;
3. Any individual can only once be chair for a maximum duration of two consecutive years, after which s/he is not eligible for the next two year period.
Article 8 – Responsibilities of the Chair of the Board
The responsibilities of the chair of the Board shall be:
1 .To organize meetings of the Board;
2. To chair meetings of the Board;
3. To represent the goals and strategy of USIC at official occasions.
The chair of the Board may appoint an ad-hoc secretary, if desired.
Agreed by: the parties on January 9, 2008, at Austin, TX
Representatives of the Parties to the Platform are
T. ten Brummelaar
As of June 12th 2008 The following members have been added:
As of 2009, A. Boden has left USIC and R. Akeson now represents the NASA Exoplanet Science Institute.