The Center for High Angular Resolution Astronomy (CHARA) at Georgia State University (GSU) is seeking applicants for a Postdoctoral Research Associate. CHARA operates the CHARA Array, an optical/IR, long baseline interferometer located at Mount Wilson Observatory (www.chara.gsu.edu). We are starting a program to add a seventh telescope to the Array. This will be a mobile telescope that will be moved to several locations on Mount Wilson and will be connected to the other telescopes through fiber optics. The postdoctoral research associate will be involved in all facets of this project, including construction, implementation, development of software for instrument control, creating observing protocols, and writing documentation.
This position is fully supported for three years. The workplace is the Mount Wilson Observatory north of Los Angeles. The majority of effort will be devoted to the mobile telescope project, but the postdoctoral associate will be encouraged to pursue independent research with the CHARA Array interferometer.
Applicants should have the following basic qualifications:
1) Ph.D. in astronomy, physics, engineering, or closely related field;
2) expertise in instrument development, fiber optics, and/or interferometry;
3) evidence of the ability to work in a collaborative effort;
4) a working knowledge of GNU/Linux and C-programming.
Applications should include:
1) CV, including a publication list;
2) statement of the candidate's research interests and how they relate to the CHARA Array;
3) contact information for at least three references.
Applications received by November 30, 2020, will receive full consideration. An offer of employment will be conditional on background verification.
Please apply on-line for this position:
Step 1: GSU Job Website: https://employment.gsu.edu/
Step 2: Select "External Applicants"
Step 3: Enter job number 20000554: "Postdoctoral Research Associate Position #20000554"
Step 4: Click Apply Online (if a new user, create a username and password)
Step 5: Complete the entire application and upload all requested documentation to the online application.